Hello There, Guest! Register

Poll: Should we be able to use custom skins in an SRS race session ?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Custom skins in race sessions
33.33%
1 33.33%
Allow custom skins in online racing
66.67%
2 66.67%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using custom skins?
Iv noticed that when I try and use a custom skin as my car for a race event that the car appears on the SRS uploaded replay as a blank colour and not the skin iv chosen.
I understand about permissions etc but why is it that the sim racing YouTubers that host rounds here are able to use them and not the community racers?
It ads variety to watching the replays and  individuality to each racer.
If I understand you correctly, you've merely chosen a skin from the list that is custom, and not one that is named specifically bradly_grant (or some other driver's name that was involved in the race you happened to be in)?

I don't think just downloading a skin pack off of Race Department and then selecting it will make it show up on an SRS server. Either because it doesn't conform to the skin name requirements, or because the skin you chose is bigger than 10MB in total file size, or both.
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
(01-04-2018, 03:58 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  If I understand you correctly, you've merely chosen a skin from the list that is custom, and not one that is named specifically bradly_grant (or some other driver's name that was involved in the race you happened to be in)?

I don't think just downloading a skin pack off of Race Department and then selecting it will make it show up on an SRS server. Either because it doesn't conform to the skin name requirements, or because the skin you chose is bigger than 10MB in total file size, or both.

hi Russ

thanks for your reply.
So maybe if i renamed the skin in the files to a generic name that might work?

(01-04-2018, 04:50 AM)Bradly Grant Wrote:  
(01-04-2018, 03:58 AM)Russell Sobie Wrote:  If I understand you correctly, you've merely chosen a skin from the list that is custom, and not one that is named specifically bradly_grant (or some other driver's name that was involved in the race you happened to be in)?

hi Russ

thanks for your reply.
So maybe if i renamed the skin in the files to a generic name that might work?
PS: iv just read the post for the skin app. so ill give that a try.
Very likely if you are trying to use just someone's custom skin they put on Race Department, the skin is going to go over the 10MB limit. Likely you'd have to run various textures included in whatever skin through Photoshop to re-export the DDS file at a lower compression quality to address it. Good luck!
Tutorial on how to use Autodesk Mudbox and Adobe Photoshop to make custom liveries! https://tinyurl.com/yaetz4qz
Grab my PDash Skins (an Assetto Corsa HUD app) here: https://tinyurl.com/y95ewubz
hi guys can someone tell me how i have to safe those dds files with photoshop to get a smaller size? does anyone know the settings, because my car file is about 10.6mb and all files together driver suit, gloves etc are about 26mb all together -.-

Edit: 
thx for the reply Smile

i figured out that i had to resize every file when i was comparing skins from other drivers Wink
but 2048x2048 was still to big because i got to much other files inside the folder xD finally the folder is about 9mb big Smile

the compression would have been my next question if hadn't figured out how to...
(01-09-2018, 03:15 PM)Paul Stannigel Wrote:  hi guys can someone tell me how i have to safe those dds files with photoshop to get a smaller size? does anyone know the settings, because my car file is about 10.6mb and all files together driver suit, gloves etc are about 26mb all together -.-

Couple of things you can do. Check the resolution and make sure it's not crazy like 4096x4096 ( Some default .dds and template files are that big ) 2048x2048 is fine. Another thing is the compression you use when saving/exporting. I use Gimp and I save using BC1/DXT1 compression as opposed to BC3/DXT5 which is least compressed and is default I believe. That slims the files down by at least half.
I'm also having this problem, my skin is showing up as black on SRS, but it says "skin uploaded" within the app normally.
Having this issue on the Mazda MX5 Cup
(01-21-2018, 03:07 PM)Tymon Douglas Wrote:  I'm also having this problem, my skin is showing up as black on SRS, but it says "skin uploaded" within the app normally.
Having this issue on the Mazda MX5 Cup

Did you tested your skinn offline? It worked properly? 

Sometimes, when you save certain parts of the skin 
in DXT1 or DXT3 it doesnt work properly ingame (e.g. glass windows). 
Some cars require a higher skin DXT skin to work, and some will accept lower ones. You need to balance the other files if the skin itself gets too big.
SURVIVING ROOKIES - Legendado PT-BR.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LJcb-_LcUE

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himslef."
- Ferdinand Porsche